One Four Challenge – February 2016, week 3

This week, for my One Four challenge, I’ll again highlight a section of my picture, by cropping the image in order to show only (or mostly) the element I was to focus on.

The chosen ‘creature’ this week is a coral in green and purple that reminded me of lavender fields.

The actual name of the coral seems to be Acropora (please for the experts out there, fell more than free to correct me if I’m wrong), but I still like the call it lavender-field-like coral, just because… šŸ˜‰

To show the coral well, I cropped the image, changed the temperature to remove the blue cast (like in week 1), increased the saturation and played a little with brightness and contrast until I was satisfied with the results.

I did this all before posting my Week 2 edit. Then after seeing Emilio’s comment about the lack of a focal point on my fist picture, I looked at my week 3 picture andĀ decided to edit again, as I felt the coral as not standing out as much as I wanted to have it be the focal point (yes, I do them all more or less at the same time. Maybe not same day, but by the end of week 1 I typically have all 4 ready to be published šŸ˜‰ ).

The main problem was that I wanted to highlight the purple coral, but there was another one all-green at the top of the picture that had a much brighter color, and was sort of stealing the scene.Ā I could have tried to isolate areas and do the highlight by changing levels on each area, but that would require an app and some time I did not have. So I cropped it even more to show only the Acropora.

I’m still not 100% sure if that was really needed or not. Maybe I wasĀ just over thinking,Ā but I’ll stillĀ stick to my edit #2. šŸ˜‰

Here’s how it turned out:


Lavender and green coral in Seattle Aquarium


This post was written in response to the One Four Challenge 2016 – February, hosted by Robyn. Check also my weeks 1Ā and 2 edits.

And if you’re curious to see my first edition of the week 3 image, you can find it here.

One Four Challenge – February 2016, week 2

Back to this month’s One Four Challenge.

My intention when I took to picture was to focus mostly on the giant clam and also on the lavender-field-likeĀ coral.
But then, as I took the picture, a little red fish was passing by right on top of the clam, and sort of stole the scene, becoming one of the focus points of the image.

So today, I’m dedicating the edit to it, and highlighting the little guy even more by increasing theĀ saturation and thenĀ isolating it as the only colored element in a black and white picture.

Here is this week’s edit.

Week 2 - Highlighting the fish

Week 2 – Highlighting the fish

This post was written in response to the One Four Challenge 2016 – February, hosted by Robyn. Check also my week 1 edit here.

One Four Challenge – February 2016, week 1

Robyn’s One Four Challenge is back this month!!!
And once again I decided to participate.

This year, with a few changes that happened on my job, I haven’t been able to find as much time for blogging than I did last year, so I’m getting far behind with writing challenges, but the photo ones are a bit easier for me.

So it made me very happy to see the challenge coming back.

For this month I picked a picture I took recently at the Seattle Aquarium, that showed the colors quite different from what I was seeing ‘in person’. I was with friends and a bunch of kids (mine and theirs), which means I didn’t have much time to try to troubleshoot off-color pictures taken with my phone (probably the best I’d be able to do would be trying different angles, but not even that… ).

So I got the picture that didn’t reflect the actual colors, and my goal this week will be to try to make it as closer to the real thing as I can with the tools I have.

So first, here’s the original bluish picture.



Some of the creatures/vegetation on this aquarium were orangey/browny, but in the picture, I got mostly blues. purples and greens. The picture also looks much darker than the real stuff, probably to balance the shininess of the big clam, that was exacerbated in the picture.

By changing the temperature of the picture and adding (just) a (little)Ā bit more brightness, I was able to get some of the orangey tones back and got a much brighter picture.

I like the way it turned out.
I would need to go back to the aquarium to see how ‘authentic’Ā I was able to get, but from what I remember, I believe I got close.

This is my edit.

Week 1 - trying to get the real colors to show

Week 1 – trying to get the real colors to show


This post was written in response to the One Four Challenge 2016 – February, hosted by Robyn