No, this time I’m not showing the things I love. I’m rather showing a picture that I created with the mirroring effect of some phone app a few months ago (they are both my own left hand).
I don’t quite remember what led me to create the picture, though. Maybe just that I wanted to use the mirroring effect? What I do know is that it became sort of not great and was left forgotten in some hidden folder of my cell phone.
Then today, when I saw the theme for the Weekly Photo Challenge, it reminded me of the picture and I decided to search for it.
I found it, but it was indeed not good enough to post.
So I used Fotor to change a few levels, apply a few filters, and in the end I got this sort of sketchy/painting like image.
And that one satisfied me enough to post it here. ;o)
After last week’s post Nic suggested that I’d try GIMP. I installed it and had a quick look, but I have a confession to make. I did all my 4 edits at once at the beginning of the month and had my week 4 ready and waiting to be published already. Another confession, I wish I had more time to spend on blogging, but home, family and a full time job makes me lazy to learn new apps that have a steepish learning curve. I still want to learn GIMP, but it may take a while…
So back to my quick edits on simple apps to wrap-up the month….
This week I decided to try something different and transform my photo onto a sort of Thomas Kinkade-style ‘painting’.
It was tricky to find a way to do that using my 2 little non-fancy apps and my try and error (instead of educated attempts) to change settings around.
In the end I got what I wanted using a mix of my 2 worlds.
First, I used Photo Editor on my phone to get the painting look and feel. My first edit was to use the Oil Paint effect. Then I played around with some of the color settings, such as brightness, contrast, temperature, exposure, saturation, tint and hue. Unfortunately I didn’t take notes of my changes on these categories. But the painting style of the oil painting effect did not exactly matched Kinkade’s style, so on top of it I applied a diffuse effect by 3% only. Still not really Kinkade-ish, leaning more towards pointillism, but I liked it anyways.
The problem of editing pictures on a tiny phone is that sometimes, once I upload it to the computer, the colors (especially brightness) look a bit different. And that’s exactly what happened here.
So, once in the PC, I opened it in Fotor and decrease the brightness by 10 points and used a HK Film effect on 28% strength.
That’s how it turned out:
And now, the gallery with all my edits for this month.
I’d love to know which one you liked the best, so feel free to vote on your favorite below:
For this week’s edit, I decided to make it look as if the picture was taken at twilight. I must confess I did not do great here, because the dark shadows may give me away, but at least I got more evening colors (or lack thereof).
To get the feeling I wanted this week, I used the Fotor app on my PC and used the cyanotype effect with 50% strength, then I changed brightness to -42, contrast to 20, temperature to -16, tint to -28 and blur/sharpen to -25
For this week’s challenge, I chose to have a few pictures of horizon and some that are not of a horizon. Amongst those I have a couple that I guess could be included into the Multiple horizons category.
For all the edits I’ve made, I used Fotor app on my PC, using the Straighten tool to level the horizons where needed, and also to crop, or change contrast, brightness and sharpness here and there to make the lines a it more visible.
In the first one, I have the grass, the road and the hill behind the house. To get a more consistent angle among all of those lines, I cropped the image to ‘hide’ the area to the left house, because at that point the hill was going down.
On the second one, I chose a picture that I took through the blinders on my window. I’m not sure what I was trying to picture on that day, but the blind aligns nicely with the lines on the roof and on the siding of my neighbor’s house. For this picture I didn’t have the realign anything, but I changed contrast and sharpness a bit just to make the roof lines a bit more visible.
On my next 3 pictures, I have the horizon. I didn’t change much in these one, but I did have to level the horizon.
On my 6th picture, I chose one that has multiple horizons, with the sky/sea line as well as with the lines created by the rock walls.
And finally, on my last one, I liked how the image was nicely split among sea, sand and wall. The original was more evenly split, but I also decided to crop this one, to make the wall line look a bit more straight. In this one, I did not need to level, since the sand/sea line was already pretty leveled already.